Friday, October 29, 2010

The internet is HERE!

I can feel my powers growing stronger.

Hello. I am at the internet cafe, using wireless on my laptop and everything is working wonderfully. After a few days of trouble and mucking around, the network seems stable. Hooray. On an internet-cafe note, Fatou (not Patu as I guessed earlier) who runs the internet cafe read my blog. If she is reading this, then hello. It was by reading my blog that she found out that I got her name wrong and corrected me. That was nice.

I've been having a couple of hours of lessons each day and Monday to Wednesday trained with Doudou's group. This has been good – they're pretty loose with people learning parts and mucking around a bit but are still at a level above anything in Australia. As such, this means that they are good to play with but are not so good that I can't keep up at all. Generally they get me to do some djembe blathering in what they're doing – it's really good practice for working on short, tasty djembe bursts. So, that's going well. Today I have organised to have lessons from 2.30 to 4.30 – the group doesn't train on Fridays. Also, they had a gig last night. It was good – it was too dark to take any video though. Sorry. You should have been there.

That's taking up most of my day – I've been having a lesson at 9 or so, rehearsing with the group until about 2 then having another lesson in the afternoon. This means that I'm pretty stuffed most of the time. It's been hot too. Really hot. Also, with the power going off at least once every day it can be hard to cool down. A couple of nights in the week there was no power or breeze and I could barely sleep.

Boo hoo for me.

Last night I had a lizard in my bed. It was under my pillow and then it was on my shoulder. It was alright – a good deal nicer than the cockroaches I had to deal with last time I was in Ghana. I chased it around the room for about 10 minutes and then put it outside. 

I wasn't just chasing it for fun, mind, I was trying to catch it. 

Just wanted that to be clear.

Anyhow, I'm aware that this is a pretty babbly post without the lucidity and poetry of my usual musings but you will deal. I am frothing on having internet and that is enough. 

As per usual, thanks for reading, please subscribe to the Fat Gold Chain Podcast and thanks for reading.

The internet will hopefully be working fine now so I will be able to post more often.
I'm BACK!

Thanks for reading.

Love from Jacob

No comments: