Saturday, October 2, 2010

Hello from Jacob

Hello. From me. Jacob.

Today I got woken up by Afotey wanting some money. A good start, I thought. Afotey was one of my teachers last time was here and I plan to do some more stuff with him this time. Thus, I thought it would be prudent to give him something, if not as much as he was asking. So I did. And I was up. So there.

Then, after talking to my mother on Skype, I went to Theofo's. He had cooked jollof rice (rice with fried chicken and a tomato and onion sauce – really nice). As I mentioned just now in the parentheses, it was really nice. From there we went back to my place and got set up to to record Theofo playing some fetish rhythms. He saw my 'studio' setup here in the room when I first got here and decided that I should record him. I thought it would be interesting and easier to comply than to try and avoid him, so today we started.

This meant borrowing some monitors that I noticed Tettey had lying around, sorting out power transformers and such, getting the mic, headphone monitoring and drums set up and generally acting all techy. After a bit of stuffing around, fixing things and testing we recorded most of one of the rhythms he wanted to do – when it's finished I'll put it up here for you to hear. The whole process was actually pretty enjoyable – I knew I brought all this gear for a reason.

Oh, here's a picture:


That's my laptop on a box of water bottles, with some speakers behind and all sorts of other goodies. I even brought my trackball. Sometimes it's good to be a nerdy boy.

Anyhow, that was pretty much my day. Right now I'm listening to music through real speakers rather than headphones (which get uncomfortable after not-too-long) or my shitty computer speakers. That is nice. I'm listening to the Allman Brothers Band – I like them because two words in their name make it very clear what gender they are and the other word lets you know that they're a band.

And their music is ok too.

Ok bye. You are special.

Bye.

No comments: