Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Post from the Holy Day.

Today is Sunday.

It has been a day of FAILURE.

I didn't go running in the morning - I barely slept last night and was still awake at 5 when I was supposed to get up to go. I took a raincheck and tried to get some sleep. I did sleep, until 9 or so.

FAIL!

Not much happened from then on. I hung around, had some toast, had a lesson with Mr Lokko... and that's about it.

FAIL!

Later, after dinner, I went to an NDC (National Democratic Congress) meeting - the NPP (New Patriotic Party) is the corrupt right-wing government currently in power and the NDC are the left-wing hopefuls. There is an election on December 7th. The current government is one of those that feature in any discussion of African politics, with the President receiving millions of dollars in kickbacks, regular power outages (because the electricity is being sold to other countries) and the president apparently "can't close his fly". Alongside this corruption and bribery, the majority of the population is impoverished. Indeed, because the government has so much money, there is a very one-sided representation in the political advertising arena and hundreds of Ghanaians have been paid 10GHS (a significant amount for people who have nothing and virtually nothing to a government with everything) to wear propaganda t-shirts. Additionally, the government still has the capability and resources to bribe police into switching ballot boxes with rigged papers. Fun eh? So, the NDC's situation is interesting to say the least - the NPP government is sucking the country dry and there seems a desperate need for change (sound like any other countries?). The NDC then is very involved in trying to be vigilant and ensuring that no shifty business takes place.

That said, most of the meeting was in another language. I just sat there.

FAIL!

I think I will try and vote on December 7, see what happens...

(I will most likely get turned away [and so I should]... FAIL!)

[As the first independent African nation, Ghana has a very interesting political history. If you're interested, (and it is interesting, though long) go here. Also (shorter), Jerry John Rawlings, the Flight Lieutenant who staged a coup, gave power back to the people, formed the NDC and really is to credit for Ghana's unity and political success, can be read about here. Alongside that, if you haven't already, Wikipedia has information about Ghana here (don't you care about where I am at all?). FAIL!]

Finally, my last failure for the night.

We went to Mr Ricky Nana's house. His daughter was being tutored in basic algebra. Tettey knows that I'm doing math at university and asked me to solve one of the problems on the board (solving linear equations with fractions). I blanked out and couldn't do it. Even though I am doing math as a major and am quite good (albeit lazy) at it, I couldn't do something from year 8.

Oh the pain.

I shall cry myself to sleep tonight.

Also, I am trying to learn French.

Au Revoir.

4 comments:

GD said...

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/10/23/1224351430987.html

Of course this pales in comparison to that of the corruption in "your" country... I thought you might be interested to see what's going on here (if you're not already aware).

Math is a bitch isn't it. So are you... You will be duly slapped for failing, upon your return.

Jess said...

Sounds like your shipment of fail has arrived.

bbs said...

Jacob, You PASS because that was the funniest blog entry so far!

GD said...

http://murderburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/dhcxav.jpg