Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'm in Kuala Lumpur

Hello. I am in Kuala Lumpur.

Here's what's been up.

In Amsterdam I met up with Zonto (after waiting at Amsterdam Centraaaaaal station for 40 minutes in the cold) and then walked around in the freezing cold. That's about it. Of course we walked through the red light district. Man, those guys love their dope and whores. I couldn't really see what all the fuss is about, however. Maybe that's because it was during the day and freezing, friggin cold.

Anyway. Now I've been. So there.

Then, Zonto had to go off somewhere. I found this awesome old video games shop and bought an old Booster Boy accessory for the original gameboy. If you don't know what it is, don't worry - I couldn't find it anywhere in the Google. But I was excited. It was 3 Euro, which is about 4 million AUD, I think, but worth it.

Then I went back to the airport.

After some time (I bought a book which I've now read and slightly regret. But not really. But a little bit...) I flew to Kuala Lumpur. Out flight was delayed by an hour or so, by the way. That was fun. Apparently the plane was undergoing 'minor' repairs on a 'minor' part. I understood that to mean that one of the wings fell off and they had to gaffer tape it back on. That was a nice thought.

I had a shitty time on the plane, literally and figuratively. This was most likely due to a Burger King meal at Schipol airport. I felt that I just had to. Anyway, I spent some effort associating the filthy hamburger with my gurgling spurgling stomach so as to discourage myself from such foods in the future. Good on me.

Regardless, we got to Malaysia with just the one wing (circling to land was easy. In fact, we could only go in circles...) (I think that was a joke. Sorry). Once there, I discovered that my bags had been checked through from Accra all the way to Melbourne, where I wouldn't be for 4 days. I figure this was just Ghana's way of saying goodbye. So, this meant a few hours of waiting around while my bags got taken off another flight and brought to me. Not very interesting really. Or fun.

Then I caught the (relatively but not actually) expensive express train to KL Sentral station, wandered around a bit with my heavy bags, found my way to the Monorail station, caught the monorail to a few hundred metres from my hotel, checked in, showered and then collapsed. It felt like I'd run a marathon or two - it was Saturday and my last semi-decent night's sleep was Tuesday. That was fun.


Anyhow, I slept deeply, had a (free) buffet breakfast at my hotel, then went back to my room and drifted between crappy TV and sleep. It's about 10pm now and I thought I'd have a wander out and find an internet cafe (hotel internet prices are ridiculous. Something like $1 a minute. I mean, come on.) so I could let you all know what's going on.

Finally, regarding my situation just before leaving Ghana (ie. waiting for people to help me with last-minute things): Ablo didn't get my Ngony finished. I gave him a pretty stern talking to and arranged for Theofo to go and pick it up from him asap and I'd work something out when I arrived in Australia. This annoyed the shit out of me (it still makes me angry writing about it)
for the obvious reasons as well as others that I can't be bothered listing here. Regardless, I'll have to work it out later. Nana Danso didn't show up with the flutes - I asked him to give them to Jane instead so that she could bring them back for me. I don't know if this happened or not (sorry Fiona, we'll see). Okuley came from Accra to see me off but forgot his clippers. Luckily, he was nice enough to go back to Accra, pick them up and then return. So I got my hair cut. Also, Otu turned up to record the things I wanted, albeit apparently begrudgingly and quite rudely. Maybe he was just very upset that I was leaving. I would be.

So, that's what's up. I'm in Kuala Lumpur and will maybe do some stuff tomorrow. Or I might just go and sit by the pool for a day. We'll see.

Ok Bye.

1 comment:

Girl in the little black dress said...

Hi Jacob, Im so excited ur actually on ur way home. what adventures u have had!!! I cant wait for you to get home, really. sorry about my lazy spelling. Im just lazy!! C u soon!!! Abbie