Friday, November 5, 2010

Oh hi there.

Hi. For a change, it's been a while.

What have I done since Monday? Hmmmmm....

I'm not sure but Friday has sure come quickly.

I know I spent a day, I think it was Tuesday, feeling like shit and generally avoiding everything – I didn't have a lesson that day and just stayed in my room. As I made clear in an earlier post, this sort of thing happens to me every now and then because I am a sensitive guy. That night Doudou's band was meant to have a gig at Lama Lama (which is where they rehearse and store their gear and where I have my lessons). I left my room to go and see this gig but found out that the owner, who told them the day before that they should play there on Tuesday night, was apparently drunk or high or something and couldn't remember booking them. This didn't seem a big deal, really, as they don't charge this venue any money to play there because they have an arrangement. Anyhow, the owner went off his nut and told them they were lying and basically told them to take all their stuff out of his storeroom and to go away. So, quite calmly and reasonably I thought, they did. I've been having my lessons at Kala's place ever since.

I think on Thursday the owner spoke to Doudou and apologised and asked them to come back – the club used the band's PA system and gear for all their music and DJs and such. From what I can tell, Doudou is being cautious and teaching the guy a lesson. Amazingly, the band has bargaining power over the venue – they are able to set their own terms. I am pretty impressed with Doudou's bandleading ability – he seemed to stay pretty cool when copping abuse from this guy and managed to turn it into a much better situation for the band.

On Wednesday and Thursday I pretty much just had lessons and ate a lot of baguettes. It's been really hot this week which hasn't really helped my concentration. Then again, I guess I am in Africa.

Today I had a couple of hours of lessons then went back to my place with Doudou who got some fish and grilled it with a honey mustardy sort of sauce. It was very nice. That was dinner.

Then I came here.

So that's pretty much it at the moment – sorry I don't have more drama for you. Also apologies for the delay between posts. Again.

I have another 8 days here in Gambia and then will be back to my patchy but convenient internet access in Ghana.

I hope all is well for you. I really do care. You are why I write this.

Ok bye.

1 comment:

Girl in the little black dress said...

Hi Jacca, Are there photos yet?? How can i see Photos??
Hi, by the way. I miss you =)
xox