Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A blog post on a blog.

Hello. Welcome to this blog post on this blog, Travel Blog Solutions.

My name is Jacob and here's what I've been up to.

On Saturday I only had a lesson for one hour – Doudou got a call from the owner of the Soul Mate restaurant who wanted them to play there that evening. With the late notice, we had to cut the lessons short so as to organise his band to do the gig. That was fine. So we spent most of the day going from here to there and then back again, moving drums and stuff around. The gig was good – I played with them and faffed around. I left a bit before they finished and went to bed. I am a party animal.

On Sunday we had lessons for about three hours and Doudou got another call from Soul Mate's owner – he liked them so much the night before that he wanted them to play again. So we went through some more last minute organising and played. I played the whole time this time. That was nice. I ripped some little white solos.

Today, Monday, I went to the internet in the morning and spoke to Kanchana who was finishing off episode 4 of the Fat Gold Chain podcast (coming soon – how was that for some sneaky self-promotion? I guess this is a blog after all...). I then had a lesson for a couple of hours. The lessons are going well. I've learned all the parts of about 7 sabar rhythms. All new stuff with some tasty breaks and interesting new techniques.

In a rare moment of reflection, I'm so glad I came here to learn sabar  – I have been thinking I'd like to learn it for a while and it's great to finally do some.

So that's that thought.

After my lesson Doudou and I went into Serekunda to find some foam to wrap my djembe and sabar drums in when I travel. That was fine. I took a bunch of photos of Serekunda – they'll come sometime.

When we got back, Doudou went a bought some fish and brought it back to my place. Then he, Kala, some other guys and I cooked it (I didn't really do anything) and ate it at the place where I'm staying. It was nice.

Then, we went to see Costa (a guy who lives in Kala's compound) and his group play an audition at the Ocean Beach Resort at Cape Point. I sat in with them for a few songs. It was good. How's that for description?

It's actually hard to sit in with some of these guys – the first time I play with them, the group get distracted when they hear me play and start playing loosely. I think they're surprised that I can play at all. This is slightly frustrating, but they get over it pretty quickly

Then, after the gig finished, I came back to use the internet. The girl there (not Fatou, another Fatou – the cousin of the original internet-Fatou. Confused?) wanted to go home, so I asked her to leave the wireless on so I could sit in the bar next door and use the internet. She did so I am. I hope I don't get mugged.

Anyhow, that's it up until now. I hope that was exhilarating for you.

In case you're interested, I have made a Google map with a few of the places marked on it that are mentioned in this 'Blog'. You can see it here.

Ok. Have fun.
Love from Jacob

No comments: